Skip to main content

How can we host a gift-less housewarming party?

 boxes; moving day; packing; unpacking

Dear Polite One,

My husband and I recently moved into a home we built.  We've been married for over 35 years, and although we want to host a housewarming party, we don't need anything.  We'd like to just have friends and family come to see our new home and socialize informally.  Every time I mention the idea to others, they ask where we’re registered.  The thought of registering for this seems crazy. How can we host a housewarming party without the invitees feeling obliged to gift shower-like gifts?  

Feeling Odd

Dear Feeling Odd,

This shower-like syndrome has made this sweet party more difficult to host. It's unfortunate.  There is no reason you can't still host this as a housewarming party.  You may have to verbally inform your guests that it isn’t a shower though.  

This fad of registering for most everything is crazy, though.  People are also registering for their birthdays, graduations, and retirement parties now.  The store chains promote it, so people think it is correct to do so.  I really have my work cut out for me.  

Enjoy your new home!

Sincerely,

The Polite One

More by The Polite One

Don't Register for Housewarming Parties!

Perfect housewarming gift!

Stop Torturing Friends. A Housewarming is Not a Shower!  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to address a divorced woman? Mrs or Ms?

  Dear Polite One, Should I use "Mrs." or "Ms." when sending correspondence to a divorced woman? Wondering from Kansas Dear Wondering from Kansas, Both Mrs. and Ms. are proper when addressing a letter to a divorced woman. If you choose to use Mrs., you will use her first name and last name: Mrs. Jane Brown. However, Ms. is the most common title for women these days, because marital status does not define any of us. Sincerely, The Polite One More by The Polite One Too late to send an invitation to Bat Mitzvah? How to reschedule a retirement party? Mother-in-law added names to the guest list!

What is proper birthday party etiquette?

Guests Contribute to College Fund Dear Polite One , My son turns five next month and I want to inform all guests to contribute to his college fund.  He has enough toys and I must consider his future.  How do I list this on the invitation?  Will an evite work? Wants Donations Dear Wants Donations, I’m sorry but this would be most impolite .  Hosts never request cash or any type of monetary contribution for a child’s birthday.  If your child is lucky enough to have all his needs met, you could inform guests not to give gifts.  This would be best. Good luck! Sincerely, The Polite One Host Wants Guests to Host Dear Polite One, What should I do?  My daughter’s best friend is having a birthday party.  Her mother has requested all parents attend to help monitor the children while they play at a local miniature golf course.  Plus, we are all expected to pay our cost and that of our child. Help! Dear Help! Yikes!  This i...

How to handle impolite friends?

  What is friend etiquette? Hello Polite One, Have two friends who fight because one is jealous of the other.  Both put me in the middle because I'm friends with both of them.  It's frustrating!  I still want to be friends with both, but I'm tired of the fighting.  Neither is right, but neither is wrong.  It's just wrong to want me to fix their problems.  What is the friend etiquette here?  And how to deal with my friends? Pulled Apart by Friends Dear Pulled Apart by Friends, It may be best to change the rules all of you have been playing by in the past.  There is nothing wrong with telling them not to put you in the middle. Inform both that you want to be friends with each of them, but that you don't want to hear anything negative about the other. Be firm that you won't take sides. This way you can be friends with both and not be viewed as taking sides. Regards, The Polite One She Hurts My Feelings! Dear Polite One, ...