Skip to main content

Memorial Service Timing and Condolence Card Q and A

 grieving; funerals; statue

When we lose someone near and dear, we grieve, but also have questions.  I can’t help with the grieving process, but I can do this...

May I wait 6 Months to Host Memorial Services?

Dear Polite One,

I was just wondering if you know of any rules or guidelines concerning the timing of memorial services.  Is there a time limit as to how many days/weeks/months one can wait to have a service for a loved one who's passed?  Is it acceptable to wait 6 months for an entire group of family and friends to all be available to come together to collectively honor one who is gone? 

Many Questions

Dear Many Questions,

Please accept my sincerest sympathies for your loss.

There is no set timeline and is a personal decision.  Sometimes this type of gathering must be hosted weeks after the person has passed.  However, typically the memorial is held within the first month.  This is not a rule, just an observation. 

That said, it is perfectly fine to hold a Celebration of Life months after the funeral. 

Most sincerely,

The Polite One

How to Address a Condolence Card to a Wife?

Dear Polite One,

When addressing a condolence card to the wife of the deceased, does use the wife's first name or the deceased husband's first name.

Unsure

Dear Unsure,

Years ago we would refer to the widow as Mrs. John Brown.  Today, especially if she is less than 65 years old, she would probably want to be addressed as Mrs. Sally Brown.  In most areas, women have dropped their husband’s names.

Most sincerely,

The Polite One

More by The Polite One

What is an appropriate housewarming gift?

Are favors appropriate for a religious event?

How do I inform guests of attire, gift request and they pay for meals?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to address a divorced woman? Mrs or Ms?

  Dear Polite One, Should I use "Mrs." or "Ms." when sending correspondence to a divorced woman? Wondering from Kansas Dear Wondering from Kansas, Both Mrs. and Ms. are proper when addressing a letter to a divorced woman. If you choose to use Mrs., you will use her first name and last name: Mrs. Jane Brown. However, Ms. is the most common title for women these days, because marital status does not define any of us. Sincerely, The Polite One More by The Polite One Too late to send an invitation to Bat Mitzvah? How to reschedule a retirement party? Mother-in-law added names to the guest list!

What is proper birthday party etiquette?

Guests Contribute to College Fund Dear Polite One , My son turns five next month and I want to inform all guests to contribute to his college fund.  He has enough toys and I must consider his future.  How do I list this on the invitation?  Will an evite work? Wants Donations Dear Wants Donations, I’m sorry but this would be most impolite .  Hosts never request cash or any type of monetary contribution for a child’s birthday.  If your child is lucky enough to have all his needs met, you could inform guests not to give gifts.  This would be best. Good luck! Sincerely, The Polite One Host Wants Guests to Host Dear Polite One, What should I do?  My daughter’s best friend is having a birthday party.  Her mother has requested all parents attend to help monitor the children while they play at a local miniature golf course.  Plus, we are all expected to pay our cost and that of our child. Help! Dear Help! Yikes!  This i...

How to handle impolite friends?

  What is friend etiquette? Hello Polite One, Have two friends who fight because one is jealous of the other.  Both put me in the middle because I'm friends with both of them.  It's frustrating!  I still want to be friends with both, but I'm tired of the fighting.  Neither is right, but neither is wrong.  It's just wrong to want me to fix their problems.  What is the friend etiquette here?  And how to deal with my friends? Pulled Apart by Friends Dear Pulled Apart by Friends, It may be best to change the rules all of you have been playing by in the past.  There is nothing wrong with telling them not to put you in the middle. Inform both that you want to be friends with each of them, but that you don't want to hear anything negative about the other. Be firm that you won't take sides. This way you can be friends with both and not be viewed as taking sides. Regards, The Polite One She Hurts My Feelings! Dear Polite One, ...