Skip to main content

What is the Etiquette for A Ballet Production in the Sydney Opera House? Attire?

woman; questioning 

Dear Polite One,

I have come across a difficult situation regarding my attire at an upcoming event and was hoping you could assist me in this matter.

I have been invited to attend a production of the Swan Lake Ballet at the Sydney Opera House held in the evening. My escort is a distinguished nobleman from a European country. He also happens to be my godfather.

This will be the first time that I have met him, and I am quite clueless as to how to proceed. From what I gather from talking to him on the phone and from my mother, he is certainly not of the snobbish upper-crust and is quite down to earth.

I am in my mid-twenties and a university student as well.

I would also appreciate any tips you could give me about etiquette for the ballet.

Thank you in advance regarding your advice. Have a great week!

Sincerely,

Clueless from Down Under

Dear Clueless from Down Under,

Usually, a young lady's appropriate attire for an evening ballet event is a smart casual dress with a quality coat or wrap.  Sydney seems to be label-conscious, so the dress should be in a current or classic style.  Your accessories should be of high quality.  

Because you are going to the Sydney Opera House, I contacted them to make sure I was giving you proper advice.

Steve From Sydney Opera House

"Hi there, the opera house doesn't have a dress policy or standard.,

anything you think is appropriate is fine.  Smart casual seems to be the norm.

Best, Steve"

Genuinely nice of them to be so helpful.  I would assume that smart casual in Australia means the same as most places: no semi-formal dress (cocktail dresses).  So, dress as you would to the nicest restaurant.

As for opera protocol, just remember basic courtesies like no noise like talking, singing along, or coughing, so take lozenges.  Also, no hats or a big hairstyle to obscure other's views, no strong perfume, and no cell phones.

More than likely your escort will guide you to proceed before him down the aisle to your seats; watch his body language.  Men usually sit on the aisle.

If you are in a boxed seat, ensure those around you can see as well as you. Wait until others are applauding, then join in.  Applause is withheld until the end of a complete dance or when a scene is over. You do not have to leave your seat during intermission even if your escort does.  If you do, please return before the ballet resumes.

Other than that, just enjoy yourself!  This is a huge opportunity. 

Sincerely,

The Polite One

More From The Polite One

Attire for NY Met Opera La Traviata?

Proper Formal Attire: Benefits, Ballet, and Glove Etiquette

New York City Ballet Nutcracker Attire?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to address a divorced woman? Mrs or Ms?

  Dear Polite One, Should I use "Mrs." or "Ms." when sending correspondence to a divorced woman? Wondering from Kansas Dear Wondering from Kansas, Both Mrs. and Ms. are proper when addressing a letter to a divorced woman. If you choose to use Mrs., you will use her first name and last name: Mrs. Jane Brown. However, Ms. is the most common title for women these days, because marital status does not define any of us. Sincerely, The Polite One More by The Polite One Too late to send an invitation to Bat Mitzvah? How to reschedule a retirement party? Mother-in-law added names to the guest list!

What is proper birthday party etiquette?

Guests Contribute to College Fund Dear Polite One , My son turns five next month and I want to inform all guests to contribute to his college fund.  He has enough toys and I must consider his future.  How do I list this on the invitation?  Will an evite work? Wants Donations Dear Wants Donations, I’m sorry but this would be most impolite .  Hosts never request cash or any type of monetary contribution for a child’s birthday.  If your child is lucky enough to have all his needs met, you could inform guests not to give gifts.  This would be best. Good luck! Sincerely, The Polite One Host Wants Guests to Host Dear Polite One, What should I do?  My daughter’s best friend is having a birthday party.  Her mother has requested all parents attend to help monitor the children while they play at a local miniature golf course.  Plus, we are all expected to pay our cost and that of our child. Help! Dear Help! Yikes!  This i...

How to handle impolite friends?

  What is friend etiquette? Hello Polite One, Have two friends who fight because one is jealous of the other.  Both put me in the middle because I'm friends with both of them.  It's frustrating!  I still want to be friends with both, but I'm tired of the fighting.  Neither is right, but neither is wrong.  It's just wrong to want me to fix their problems.  What is the friend etiquette here?  And how to deal with my friends? Pulled Apart by Friends Dear Pulled Apart by Friends, It may be best to change the rules all of you have been playing by in the past.  There is nothing wrong with telling them not to put you in the middle. Inform both that you want to be friends with each of them, but that you don't want to hear anything negative about the other. Be firm that you won't take sides. This way you can be friends with both and not be viewed as taking sides. Regards, The Polite One She Hurts My Feelings! Dear Polite One, ...